04 August 2010

Marriage Equality and Prop 8




Today, Judge Vaughn Walker overturned California's Proposition 8 today, the proposition that declared that the only marriages recognized in the state of California would be those between a man an a woman, also invalidating the 18,000 marriages that had been performed in the state between two men or two women.

In his landmark decision, Judge Walker declared that Prop 8 fails in its responsibility to advance any rational bias in its construction, stating that "Indeed the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California constitution the notion that opposite sex couples are superior to same sex couples."

My relationship with marriage equality/gay marriage/whatever I'm supposed to call it now is complicated. A few years ago, was the coordinator of a political coalition in my area that fought for many political and social equalities from lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQQ) folks. As often happens with those kinds of coalitions, one of the major issues that members were focusing on was marriage equality. Part of that came about because two of the plaintiff's in the 2006 suit to challenge Washington State's "Defense" of Marriage Act were on my coalition.

In March 2006, their challenge failed. And I held a rally that allowed people to express their disappointment and their rage, despite the City of Spokane refusing to issue us a permit and having no location for the rally. And people were upset - they felt marginalized, like their lives were lesser than others. And that was awful to watch.

But it was also strange to have people assume that I shared their rage and their pain. While I could see it, while I could sympathize with it, I didn't. I don't.

I want marriage equality because I realize that there is a gay man out there right now who is being refused access to his partner in the ER. I want marriage equality for the two women who are terrified that one of them will die of cancer and the other will have no legal relationship to their children. I want marriage equality so that my friends don't have to leave the country because they can't marry their foreign national partners and help them get green cards, so they don't have to pay millions of dollars more over their lifetimes to have the same lives, so they don't have sheafs of make-shift legal paperwork to give themselves the pretense of equal rights.

I want those things and I know that access to the legal institution of marriage in the US is the most expedient way to those goals.

But what I really want? Is for the institution of marriage to have no legal meaning at all. For people to be able to determine their own medical authorities, those who will receive their social security (for as long as it lasts), those who parent with them, those who they share finances with, those who can visit them in the ER. I want to take away the legal rights associated with marriage and divorce that from the social institution.

Because I don't actually know that the state has any business in my personal life, let alone my sex life. And don't forget - as long as a marriage isn't consummated, it can still be annulled in the US. Legally, if you don't screw, the marriage didn't happen.

I want the government out of my bed and out of my pants and out of everyone else's, as well. It's illogical to continue a legal institution that doesn't serve a benefit to the country as a whole and, frankly, is kind of creepy in the way its implemented. And this is not in spite of the relationships and marriages that people I respect have, but because of them. I want those relationships to have more meaning than legal chattel.

But that's a long-shot goal. That's something that won't happen for a long time, if ever.

So I remain cautiously happy at Judge Walker's decision. Not because I want to marry, but because if anyone can, we all should be able to.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely agreed here. As you know, Holly and I *had* to get married in order to be together, and while I'm more devoted to her than I can express, the fact of marriage doesn't change that devotion either way. I could just as easily have just lived with her.

    But I felt awful when having to sign the marriage license, because I had to sign that I was 'born a man'. Which, firstly, isn't even true (I was born a baby) and secondly made me complicit in a homophobic law. (And, I later realised and felt ashamed for not realising sooner, a transphobic one).

    And anything other than full equality does this. We have civil partnerships in the UK, which give *exactly* equivalent rights to marriage, but aren't marriage. Which means that if an already-married trans person wants to get their correct gender recognised in law, they have to get divorced first. Preventing some people from marrying is bad enough, but legally *requiring* some people to divorce... words can't describe how horrific that is.

    I wish that being married didn't accord me any special privileges. I wish far more that my heterosexuality, masculinity and cisgender status didn't accord me any privileges either. While they do, the *VERY LEAST* - literally - that can be done is to extend those lesser, marital, privileges to those other groups...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew - That was incredibly well-said. And I hear you and particularly liked this: "I wish that being married didn't accord me any special privileges. I wish far more that my heterosexuality, masculinity and cisgender status didn't accord me any privileges either. While they do, the *VERY LEAST* - literally - that can be done is to extend those lesser, marital, privileges to those other groups... "

    ReplyDelete